Friday, March 9, 2012

When Upperhands. met Lucent Dossier Experience. met Herakut. - The LOMO Series

In a sea of digital dominance and using Photoshop to alter images, I strive to stay true to my original photography roots.

I am part of a photography movement that works closely with Lomography, a counterculture camera company that uses modern technology to re-invent and re-make film cameras that our ancestors used to capture the images of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

For two years now, I have been bringing analogue photography to The Do Lab and their amazing events. The Do Lab has truly provided me with countless moments of artistic inspiration, combining cutting-edge performances and inspiring artwork. In an effort to showcase their creative world in a different light, I have been combining my experimental film photography of Los Angeles with the artists and fans of The Do Lab. Every photograph is randomly shot on top of each other, leaving me with a spontaneous result that I could never in my wildest dreams predict. I've ripped through countless rolls of film using multiple photo technology, layering photos on top of each other and NEVER using digital cameras or photoshop to manipulate my work.

In this piece, The Do Lab hooked me up with an all-access pass to the Lucent Dossier Experience and Herakut performance at the Palace Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles.
Whether spending time backstage capturing the antics of the Lucent Dossier Experience, or profiling the sculptural costumes of the Herakut duo, there was no lack of inspiration at every turn.

For your reading pleasure, I have also included some creative writing based on my experience to compliment the images taken at the event.

There is anticipation of a visionary performance at The Palace Theater tonight and I am in search of it.
Summoned with the task of capturing these mesmerizing figures on color negative film, Upperhands embarks on a journey of color and visual stimulation.
From the belly of the beast, I peer out and find many creatures surrounding me.
Rats move steadfast past my feet in pairs.
I see animals with paint-stricken bodies, morphed into organic forms, spliced with
memories of a nightmare's past.
Who are these people, and what do they want with me?
The curtains rise and the faint smell of aerosol is unmistakable.
Fast spitting spray cans and drips upon drips.
Their bodies move in such elegance and coordination.
Fire spinning in all directions!
The animals are dancing.
The lunatics are on the grass.
We rejoice and revel in the creative madness.

When Upperhands. met Lucent Dossier Experience. met Herakut.
















































Special thanks to The Do Lab, Lucent Dossier Experience, Herakut and the Lowriderz.
Photos and words courtesy of Upperhands.

No comments:

Post a Comment